Spacious, Historic, Elegant, Reasonable
Use of the parish hall is a benefit for members of SPI, one can become a member when booking an event!
- Rental prices are based on length of time for each use.
- Blocks of time beginning at four hours for $240 and goes to $995 for an entire weekend.
- SPI does offer discounts to local non profits.
- We can assist you with information about local services such as caterers, musicians, D.J.s, bartenders, and equipment rentals.
- For Information or to reserve the Winter Street Center, call Debby Hayden at 207-729-9707 or e-mail her at email@example.com
This structure, noted for its Gothic Revival style with Greek Revival overtones, was designed and built in 1843 by Anthony Coombs Raymond, a native of Brunswick. Maine architect John Calvin Stevens designed interior alterations in 1890 and again in 1913. The adjoining Parish hall was created in the Italianate style by another Maine architect and Bath native, Francis W. Fassett, in 1864. He was responsible for the design of over 400 buildings erected in Maine many of which can be seen in Bath.
In 1971 Sagadahoc Preservation Inc. (SPI) was formed to save this building from destruction. There were plans to replace the structure with a modern brick five story apartment building. Once saved, SPI turned the building over to the then Bath Marine Museum in 1973. In 1981, the Steeple was in such a state of disrepair that it had to be taken down. Four years later, with the help of federal and state restoration grants, an exact replica of the old steeple was erected. In the mid eighties, the museum, now Maine Maritime Museum, decided to move its whole operation to the Percy and Small Shipyard in the South end. The building then reverted back to SPI in 1986. Unable to sell or find an adaptive reuse for the old church in the late eighties, SPI made the commitment to keep it and sponsored several fund raising drives. The exterior was finally stabilized in the 90’s and we are now on a program of restoring the interior so that it may once again be used by the Bath Community.
In 2000 SPI was able to restore and rehabilitate the old parish hall. The space is now available for wedding receptions, concerts, meetings, lectures, and small theatre productions. We also have a catering kitchen. For information about use of the facility please call our coordinator, Debby Hayden, at 207-729-9707 or e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org .
SPI now has an office again, and for the first time in twenty years we no longer have to meet in member’s homes. The Bath South End Survey was conducted from SPI’s Winter Street office. That effort resulted in national recognition of the Truffant Historic District. It is our hope that we will be able to house other nonprofit organizations as we improve the available space. Our ultimate goal is to restore the sanctuary to its former glory. The sanctuary’s seating capacity is larger than any other public building in Bath and promises many opportunities for community events.