This structure, noted for its Gothic Revival style with Greek Revival overtones, was designed and built in 1843 by Anthony Coombs Raymond, a native of Brunswick. Maine architect John Calvin Stevens designed interior alterations in 1890 and again in 1913. The adjoining Parish hall was created in the Italianate style by another Maine architect and Bath native, Francis W. Fassett, in 1864. He was responsible for the design of over 400 buildings erected in Maine many of which can be seen in Bath.
In 1971 Sagadahoc Preservation Inc. (SPI) was formed to save this building from destruction. There were plans to replace the structure with a modern brick five story apartment building. Once saved, SPI turned the building over to the then Bath Marine Museum in 1973. In 1981, the Steeple was in such a state of disrepair that it had to be taken down. Four years later, with the help of federal and state restoration grants, an exact replica of the old steeple was erected. In the mid eighties, the museum, now Maine Maritime Museum, decided to move its whole operation to the Percy andSmall Shipyard in the South end.
The building then reverted back to SPI in 1986. Unable to sell or find an adaptive reuse for the old church in the late eighties, SPI made the commitment to keep it and sponsored several fund raising drives. The exterior was finally stabilized in the 90’s and we are now on a program of restoring the interior so that it may once again be used by the Bath Community.
SPI now has an office again, and for the first time in twenty years we no longer have to meet in member’s homes. The Bath South End Survey was conducted from SPI’s new office in the Basement. It is our hope that we will be able to house more nonprofit organizations as we make the available space more habitable. Our ultimate goal is to restore the sanctuary to its former glory. The sanctuary’s seating capacity is larger than any other public building in Bath and has many possibilities beyond nondenominational weddings.